Science Project Topic
Students will need to choose a topic based upon 4th grade standards in electricity and magnets. This will be at least a 5-6 week project, some of which will be done in class. Experimentation and final typing of research and conclusions will be done at home, as well as putting together the final display board. I will provide time in class for students to type final copies as well. These topics cover 4th grade standards. Choose an area that you are interested in.
This is a guideline to the science project. I will be sending home step-by-step details for creating your project. Most of the research and writing will be done in class. The experiment and final will be done at home.
- Choose a topic and create or find a project to do. Check websites for ideas. Remember, you are sticking to the topics we cover in 4th grade on electricity or magnets/magnetism.
- Research your topic. For example, if you choose a project on circuits, you will do research on circuits and how a circuit works, what a circuit is, etc. We will do research in class; however, there will be one week students will need to work on this for homework. (Note: Many of the websites have step-by-step procedures and explanations for experiments and projects. You will be required to do research beyond this in class. You may NOT just copy the "how and why" sections and call them your own.)
- Write out the procedures needed to do the project.
- List the materials you will use to conduct the experiment.
- Conduct the experiment at home. Take pictures. You may also draw pictures of the steps you did to conduct the experiment. These will be used for your final display.
- Write down what your results were and what you observed.
- Write down what you learned.
- Type a final project and put on a science display board/trifold display board.
Here is a list of websites that will give you ideas for a science project on electricity or magnets/magnetism.
- There are many ideas on Pinterest. Go to "4th grade Electricity and Magnetism Science Project Ideas on Pinterest".
- http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/Intro-Electricity-Electronics.shtml (Choose the beginner section for science project ideas.)